Come and see what the excitement is all about!
Black Sand Dive Retreat is a 6-bungalow quality dive resort spread across three hectares of a coconut plantation fronted by a private black sand beach in sheltered Kambahu Bay. Now in our eleventh year of operation, BSDR offers personalized services leading to an exceptional dive holiday experience in Indonesia’s “Exotic Critter Capital”.
Diving in Lembeh Strait
Known as the “Muck Mecca”, Lembeh is famous as the best destination on the planet for what is known as exotic critter diving, macro diving, or muck diving. There is an impressive array of underwater topography, including verdant soft and hard coral gardens, walls, and even a pinnacle. But it is the plain black sand sites that make the area famous with their profusion of strange and beautiful attractions.
How are we different?
- Only six bungalows means a maximum of twelve guests in the resort, so more personal attention.
- Maximum four divers per speedboat guarantees small diving groups, so no pile-ups at special critters and less kicked-up sand. Why pay more and travel so far to dive in groups of eight, twelve or more divers?
- Our fantastic House Reef is one of Lembeh’s best dive sites with calm and current-free conditions.
- Free self-guided shore dives off our beach helps to stretch your diving dollar.
- We are located in the middle of Lembeh’s best dive sites, so the speedboat ride to most of the top sites in the strait takes less than ten minutes.
- Transfers to and from BSDR are smooth owing to the well-surfaced asphalt road from Bitung to the resort; no boat ride necessary.
- Our open and elevated property offers not only great views, but catch seasonal breezes, so it’s cooler and there are less mozzies.
Gerry & I had a fabulous afternoon in the Tangkoko National Park. No fish, but plenty of fun.... and sweat. Tangkoko is a popular sidetrip from Lembeh for nature lovers. I hadn't been there in years and with Gerry visiting on his own, I decided to tag along to the...
As my annual Age Counter clicked over another year on May 22, I decided to celebrate simply. I spent my weekend shirking my responsibilities and getting a load of dives in. The visibility was great, the seas calm and the currents co-operative. I managed to go out for...
So now that we are all clear on telling the difference between the wonderpus and the mimic octopus, I’d like to delve further into the realm of the mimic. There are actually three species in the mimic family: the mimic, the brown mimic and the white-v octopus. The...
Our superb location in Kambahu Bay means that we are right in the middle of Lembeh’s best dives and most of the sites in the strait are within five minutes by speedboat. Directly off our fine black sand beach lies our exceptional House Reef, offering dedicated critter hunters and shutterbugs fantastic dives in calm and current-free conditions.
Black Sand Dive Resort - Lembeh Strait
What Every Dive Resort Should Strive to Be
"This was a phenomenal dive trip and we will be back here on our next visit to Lembeh. Thanks again to Bruce, Fung, and all of the wonderful staff who made our vacation a fantastic one!"
Scallywag81 on TripAdvisor
Three times is not enough...
"In the 20+ years that we've been diving, in about the same number of different countries, there was only one other place where we went back a second time. But Black Sand? Oh we just couldn't stay away!"
Katrien V on TripAdvisor
Idyllic Resort Set in Middle of Lembeh’s Best Diving
"Bruce was often present at meal time, and he is a wealth of knowledge about all things diving, especially Lembeh and critter identification. We really enjoyed our discussions with him. The dive staff was outstanding."
Doug F on TripAdvisor
Missing it Already and Can't Wait to Return!
"We visited Black Sand for the second time because we could not have imagined having better hosts than Bruce and Fung as well the number and variety of great dive sites."
Brown C on TripAdvisor
Black Sand Dive Retreat
Kel. Kasawari, Bitung
North Sulawesi, Indonesia